October 26: Melaka

So I am chilling out today, doing some work and watching the world go by. I was planning to go to Pulau Besar, an island off the coast of Melaka state, but it's a shlepp to get there, and I wasn't feeling up to it this morning. I couldn't find my towel (went off to the dhobi wallah's, apparently) and my buddy went on to JB yesterday, and none of the other travellers has seemed friendly, even though there was football on. I couldn't find the veggie restaurant I was hoping to eat at (stupidly didn't take my guidebook, which has a map in it, because I thought I would just for once just remember where I was going -- but didn't).

I have been tasting Teng's wine for him. He gets it from the supermarket. He has Spanish riesling -- omg -- and South African pinot grigio -- the single worst grape evah! and this does not change your mind. I say he should buy Australian (because it should be cheap and you can't go too far wrong). He has. He shows me a West Australian chenin (a rose, not a white) and a SE Australian red (which I don't taste, but I am sure it's pretty foul).

***

So it turns out my towel was stolen. It's a small thing, but it's put me in a foul mood. I've waited all day for it to come back from the laundry, and I haven't been able to have a shower because I was waiting for it. Yeah, we'll lend you a towel, they say. But no towel. So I have to ask again, and I hate that.

It's a pity. I liked it here. But now for me it will always be the place my towel was stolen.